Are you interested in running for the Otselic Valley Central School District Board of Education? Find more information below and here
At Otselic Valley the board of education (also called the "school board") has 5 members, and each year at least one seat is open for election. On May 15, 2018 voters will choose someone to fill the 5-year term seat currently held by Rachel Peabody whose term expires June 30, 2018.
What does a board of education do?
The school board is "a corporate body that oversees and manages a public school district's affairs, personnel, and properties...and...its members are elected by the residents of the school district that the board oversees" (School Law, 36th edition, p. 45).
A regular schedule of board meetings is set annually, although board members also attend special board meetings throughout the year as they are called. Meetings are conducted using parliamentary procedure, and minutes are maintained by the District Clerk. School board member training and resources are provided by the District.
Eligibility to run for election
To qualify for membership, an individual must fulfill the following criteria (School Law, 36th edition, p. 63):
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a qualified voter of the district (a citizen of the US, at least 18 years old, not judged to be incompetent or ineligible
- Must be and have been a resident (though not necessarily a taxpayer) of the district for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family
- May not be a current employee of the school board
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
I want to run for the school board so how do I begin?
Contact Mrs. Gail Burpee, District Clerk (firstname.lastname@example.org; 315-653-7218, ext. 4042). The required paperwork will include a nomination petition form on which you must collect at least 25 signatures of those supporting your candidacy. You are also asked to submit a bio to be published in the budget newsletter.
The deadline to submit completed materials to Mrs. Burpee in order to be placed on the 2018 ballot is Monday, April 16 at 5 pm.