Dear Viking Community:
Earlier this week we received guidance from the state regarding COVID-19 and recommendations for reopening. Please find below Otselic Valley's current plan for reopening on September 7, 2022.
HEALTH AND SAFETY PROCEDURES
- Face coverings are optional for all students, staff, and visitors inside schools, on school buses, and outdoors regardless of vaccination status. This was made effective on March 2, 2022.
- Following a COVID-19 infection, face coverings are encouraged upon return from isolation during Days 6-10.
- Otselic Valley Central School District recommends that individuals who have been identified as a "close contact" of someone infected with COVID-19 wear a face covering for 10 days after exposure, regardless of vaccination status. (Exception: This recommendation does not apply to "close contacts" who have had COVID-19 in the last 90 days).
- Contact tracing is no longer required under any circumstances.
- Anyone who is feeling ill is strongly encouraged to stay home and see a healthcare provider.
- Contacts are no longer required to quarantine if they remain symptomatic. Instead, it is recommended that those individuals wear a mask for 10 days and test twice after exposure, regardless of vaccination status.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Otselic Valley Central School District will continue to regularly clean and disinfect school buildings, buses, and high-tech areas.
COVID-19 Testing Program
- All community members and school district stakeholders are advised to test for COVID-19 at their discretion.
- Otselic Valley will provide home test kits to all stakeholders upon request.
- Otselic Valley staff will administer COVID-19 tests upon request.
- Students and staff who are or become symptomatic and/or test positive for COVID-19 are asked to isolate for 5 days at home, per C D C/ N Y S D O H/ N Y S E D isolation guidance. Those with symptoms may resume attending school after 5 days if they are fever-free without fever-reducing medicine for 24 hours, and their symptoms are improving. It is strongly suggested that face coverings be worn through day 10 following a re-entry into school. C D C guidance indicates that people can use the test-based strategy outlined in its isolation guidance to potentially shorten the duration of post-isolation mask use. Please read the FAQ on these points. Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 should immediately contact a healthcare provider and the Department of Health.
Georgia Gonzalez, EdD
Superintendent of Schools