On May 1, 2020, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed Executive Order 202.26 pertaining to the school budget voting regulations. School district budget voting will take place by absentee ballots which will be mailed to eligible voters. Voters are urged to return their ballots by mail at least a week before June 9, 2020, when votes will be counted. The vote:
- Otselic Valley will be proposing a school budget for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Voters will also be selecting two new Board of Education members. One position is a 5-year term to fill the expiring term of Brian Wood and begins July 1, 2020. The other position is a 1-year term to fill the unexpired term of Mark Swayze. That position begins the night of the election.
- Voters will also be voting on Phase 2 of the capital building project.
- More details about all of the above will be coming soon.
IMPORTANT: The Executive Order authorizes the use of absentee ballots for all qualified voters of the District. There is no in-person voting this year. Please note:
- To be a qualified voter, one must be at least 18 years of age, a resident of the District for at least 30 days, and a United States citizen.
- The District has been busy collecting names and addresses of voters registered with one of the two counties (Chenango or Madison), who meet the above qualifications.
- If you meet the above qualifications but are not registered with the county, please notify the District Clerk, Mrs. Gail Evans Burpee, at [email protected] to get your name on the list. Be sure to include your mailing address with your request.
- Every ballot will include a postage-paid return envelope.
- All ballots must be returned by 5:00 PM on the day of the vote (JUNE 9, 2020) to be counted.
- There can be only ONE BALLOT PER ENVELOPE.
- The US Postal Service recommends that voters mail their completed ballots at least 1 week before the due date to account for any unforeseen events or weather issues.
It is expected that ballots will be mailed by the week of May 18, 2020. If you haven't received a ballot by May 29, 2020, please email Mrs. Burpee at [email protected]
Thank you for your patience as we work through these new guidelines. We appreciate your support of our Vikings and the Otselic Valley Central School District!