The New York State assessments for grades 3-8 begin with E L A assessments in April, followed by Math assessments in May and Science assessments in June. Although the New York State Education Department petitioned for these assessments to be waived again this year due to a school year impacted by COVID-19, the United States Department of Education declined the waiver. Instead, some changes have been made:
- Assessments have been reduced in length to one day per grade.
- Students will be able to proceed at their own pace and take as long as they need, but they are expected to take about an hour.
- E L A and Math assessments will be multiple choice only.
- Science assessments will have a written portion only, but no science lab.
- Results will be used only for benchmark data purposes. This information will help measure what students are learning so schools can adjust accordingly. Results will not be used to hold schools or teachers accountable.
- The tests are a way to gauge where students are after the loss of in-person class time during the pandemic.
Otselic Valley E L A assessment schedule:
- Wednesday, April 21: grades 3 & 6
- Thursday, April 22: grades 4 & 5
- Friday, April 23: grades 7 & 8
- Make-up assessments: the week of April 26
Parents of virtual learners also have the option to have their student take next week’s assessment. We plan to administer assessments to virtual learners in all grades on April 26th in the morning. If you choose this option, you will need to bring your child in for the test. It should take about one hour to complete. If you would like your child to participate, please email Mrs. Richards at: [email protected]